Shot & Song - The Game

Friday, May 01, 2009 / Posted by PageOne /


As a photographer, Duane has had the opportunity to sit on the court in Division I NCAA (see above) and the NBA. I've been fortunate enough to have the opportunity at UNC on a few occasions (see below). Being the novice I am, I'd often call up Duane pregame for advice and after to share the stoke. Besides the possibility of being flattened by a 6-10, 250 pound kid, it's sometimes hard to focus on the job due to the electricity on the floor. There's so much going on that is missed from even a few rows up: competitive and friendly chit-chat between rivals, the refs giving players the business (instead of the other way around), the THUD & SHAKE of feet hitting the court, & possibly the most fascinating aspect of the game... coaches doing anything and everything to motivate and manipulate for the win. Sitting on the floor, you get a real perspective as to the level of worship (and pressure) these talented kids receive. It's hard to imagine being 19 years old in the midst of 22,000 screaming parishioners, who in the blink of an eye can go from love to hate. How do you concentrate while trying to study for finals?

I've watched college basketball religiously every season since I was tiny, but I read the game and its players in a different manner now. It's funny how a position changed my perspective.


There's nothing too significant about this song selection, but if Matt were to ever again open his gym for some pick-up, I wouldn't mind shooting around to this:

Labels: , ,

2 comments:

Comment by Duane Fernandez on May 11, 2009

I've actually tried to put those feelings into words and you did it so well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Comment by PageOne on May 11, 2009

Thank you, sir. I'm sad the season is over.

Post a Comment